Any competition requires rules and people to assess the entrants against those rules. Entries at National exhibitions must be judged by people on the National Judges register. To enter this register they have to demonstrate necessary knowledge and have to maintain this knowledge to remain on the register.
This section covers:
- National Register of Judges;
- Appointment of philatelic judge apprentices including an application form;
- Criteria for national judges;
- Criteria for postcard judges including appointment of postcard judge apprentices and an application form.
In addition guidelines are provided for:
- the Chairman of the Jury
- team leaders (FIP guidelines)
- for team leaders and the Chairman of the Jury in relation to apprentices at exhibitions.
Many inter-club competitions require at least one judge from the National Register of Judges. Competitions within a club that use a judge rather than membership voting should also consider using a qualified judge. Judging competitions of this kind can also provide experience for someone who would like to become a qualified judge.